Recently, Uxbridge –The Trail Capital of Canada – was impacted by a significant weather event that has left behind widespread damage throughout the township.
What was supposed to be a “return to normal” May long weekend in the province, quickly turned in to a very scary and surreal situation. As businesses and tourist attractions opened with anticipation during the “summer of the staycation” in Ontario, yet another devastating impact was felt.
As the township continues the efforts to clean up and rebuild, we’ve put together this list of ten ways that you can help support the community by shopping local this summer.
- Visit Downtown Uxbridge and check out the amazing shops, restaurants and attractions! Please be patient as some businesses may need a little more time to re-open.
- Buy tickets for Springtide Music Festival in July to support the local music scene.
- Visit the “2019 Farm Market of the Year” every Sunday during the Uxbridge Farmers’ Market, which has been temporarily moved to Herrema Fields at 85 Herrema Boulevard.
- While The Second Wedge Brewery recovers from significant damage as a result of the storm, you can find your favourite Second Wedge brew at a local restaurant or retail outlet with their Beer Finder Map.
- Support the York Durham Heritage Railway by shopping at one of their Wizards Emporium retail stores in Pickering, Oshawa and Newmarket. A Go Fund Me has also been launched in their effort to rebuild and restore the historic and beloved tourist attraction.
- Sip local at these North Durham cideries.
- Check out local artisans, farms, markets, live music, food and more on the Leaskdale Loop.
- Step into the life of Lucy Maud Montgomery on the self-guided Anne and Maud Experience.
- Immerse yourself in the Township’s history at the Uxbridge Historical Society.
- Spend date night at the Roxy Theatre where you can catch the latest Hollywood movie releases.
Many businesses in North Durham and throughout Durham Region have been impacted as a result of COVID-19 and the recent storms. We invite you to plan a trip to one of the 14 downtowns, attend an event and shop the apparel and merchandise line from the Durham is Home collection to show your community pride!
Sign up for the Durham Tourism monthly newsletter and be the first to find out about events, tourist attractions, special offers and more.